High-fat diet mostly leads to weight gain. However, to lose weight, it’s not only about reducing fats, but also calories. It is because, even when you have consumed low-fat, trans fat-free, or fat-free foods, the extra calories will still be stored as fat. So, replacing high-fat foods with high-calorie foods like sweets can lead to weight gain rather than to weight loss.
How Much Fat We Cat Eat?
It’s recommended that about 20%-35% of adult daily calories are taken from fat. So, if you eat 2,000 calories a day, that amounts to 44-77 grams of fat a day.
Before consuming a product, you can read on the nutrition labels on food packages which state the number of fat and calories per serving. To get the nutrients you need, you can eat a variety of lower-fat foods.
To control fat along with carbs, calories and cholesterol, you can put large amount of fruits, vegetable, and other plant foods and moderate amount low-fat animal-based foods like meat and dairy products. Meat, fish, and poultry are recommended with a maximum of 5-7 ounces per day.
You can also consume low-fat protein, such as tuna, tofu, low-fat or skim milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, and dried beans and pea. Salmon, flaxseed, and other foods rich with omega-3 fatty acid should also be included in your diet for the health of your heart. Salmon can be eaten twice a week.
How to Prepare Low-Fat Diet?
1. Remove the poultry’s skin and cut off all the visible fats
2. Soups, gravies, and stews can be refrigerated and the hardened fat can be removed before eating
3. Frying food is forbidden. Instead, you can try to bake, broil, or grill.
4. Instead of sprinkling the cooked vegetables with cream-based sauces, butter, cheese, you can try herbs, spices, on lemon juice.
5. Instead of sour cream, you can use plain low-fat or non-fat yogurt to bake potatoes. Limit the use of reduced-fat sour cream because it still contains fat.